de Velers, since its construction in 1533 until
the XVII century, met in the Church of Santa Anna.
At the end of this century, it was moved to the
Convent of Santa Catalina, where today the market
with the same name is located. In 1757, it was
agreed to construct a social building whereby
two houses and a mansion were acquired, bordered
by the streets of Sant Pere Mes Alt, Voltes de
Jonqueres y Riera Sant Joan. It was here that
in 1763, the social building of the Association
was built, under the supervision and design of
Joan Garrido. A statue of Our Lady of the Angels
was put on the corner of the building, a work
by the sculptor Joan Enric.
The Sgraffito on the facade, representing Atlantis
and caryatids, is considered the most important
Catalan Baroque in Barcelona. The Catalan Baroque
style also defines the Sala Gremial, one of the
biggest and well known spaces in Ciutat Vella.
The building was declared an architectural monument-
national artistic interest because of its splendid
Sgraffito- by Royal order on 2 June 1919. In 1928,
it was restored and enlarged under the direction
of the architect Jeroni Matorell.
Between the years 2000 and 2008, the building
underwent a major rehabilitation where all the
reception and meeting rooms, furniture, woodwork,
upholstery, parchments were restored and the exterior
facade, balconies, Sgraffito, shutters, roof and
lobby were cleaned and renovated.